Bill and I had been going back and forth between two names for our baby girl since the day we found out that we were pregnant. Bill came back from the field at about 2 AM on Saturday, April 27th and said "I decided what we're going to name her - Julia Isabelle." This was one of our top picks. I love this name, and we've actually had it picked out for years. "Julia" is after my grandmother on my mom's side - Julia "Judy" Nan Gettinger - a.k.a Garmie to her grandchildren and great-grandchildren. "Isabelle" - simply because we love the name.
My dad called at some point later that Saturday morning and told me that Garmie was taken by ambulance to the hospital. I talked to my mom a few hours later - Garmie had a massive stroke. She was surrounded by our loving family until she passed away in the early hours of April 28th.
I was not able to make the trip home for Garmie's funeral since I was due on May 4th. Thanks to technology I was able to Skype in to view the service and listen to incredible eulogies delivered by numerous family members and friends on May 2nd.
I headed back to work following the service, but I only lasted an hour before my water broke. Gross. Bill met me at the house. We loaded the van, picked up Hank from daycare, dropped him off with some friends, and then headed to the hospital. A few hours later, Julia Isabelle Ferguson, arrived...only hours after our amazing Garmie had been laid to rest.
| I must have had the epidural at this point because I look pretty comfortable... |
In memory of my Garmie, here are a few pictures of her with Hank.
| Hank with Garmie (left) and Aunt Mary Lou (right) |






Wow. What a sweet story. And a gorgeous baby.
ReplyDelete